Leave your phone number, we will call you back soon, answer all your questions and offer an individual program that is suitable for you and your child.
Aldro School is a preparatory boarding school for boys only, selective (it does not accept every boy). The school has set the bar high and perfectly prepares boys for admission to leading British high schools.
The school was founded in 1898 and is located in the village of Shackleford (Surrey), about 45 minutes from central London. The territory of the school occupies 8 hectares.
Aldro School strives to prepare students not only for further studies, but also for the responsibilities of adulthood. At the same time, it gives the opportunity and time for art, creative and sports activities.
Why only boys?
Aldro is conceived as a "paradise for boys." Aldro boys are doing well: whether they are classroom lessons, games on the sports field, classes in the design and technology lab, or at the music school. Success in one area often leads to more confidence in another.
In an environment where there are only boys, there are many academic advantages. Studies have shown that girls tend to learn faster than boys, in all respects - academically, socially and physically.
The school gives boys space, opportunities and support for development at their own pace, focusing on their needs.
200 boys are studying at the school, 60 of which are studying on a full board basis.
Director (stand 2023)
Chris Carlier, Education - University of Oxford, Master's degree; graduate certificate with the right to conduct teaching activities.
Famous school graduates
- John Wokham, Baron Wokham, British businessman and politician, Chancellor of the University of Brunel.
- Tim McMullan, an English theatre and television actor.
- David Hacking, 3rd Baron Hacking, attorney.
- The school shows high academic results: graduates enter the best schools in the UK, including Eton, Harrow, Radley, Cranleigh and others.
- Aldro School is unofficially a preparatory school for Charterhouse High School. Most Aldro graduates go further to the Charterhouse school.
- The school has a strong academic tradition, it boasts an extensive program that allows all students to have the opportunity to learn and develop.
- The independent publication The Good Schools Guide ranks Aldro as a school for independent children.
In Aldro, in addition to the school itself, a large number of various sports facilities, football fields, hockey fields, cricket grounds, tennis courts, a golf course, a swimming pool, research laboratories, a theatre, art studios and much more were built.
There are specially constructed design buildings and technologies associated with the art centre. The building consists of a very well-equipped workshop with an integrated warehouse of materials and has a connection with the design studio. This area is equipped with computers, a smart board and a TV.
Aldro strives to provide a diverse curriculum that stimulates children, while at the same time demanding and flexible enough to match the abilities of each boy and bring out the best in everyone.
The Aldro Baccalaureate curriculum is based on the Independent Schools Examination Board (ISEB), but is more expanded and deepened in the school's academic program. This is achieved with the help of specialist teachers in many subjects starting from the 5th year of study (9 years).
The school follows the National Curriculum and includes the full range of arts, humanities, languages, mathematics, science and sports, and all children undergo a wide range of extracurricular activities.
Family friendly and relaxed atmosphere makes life in the guesthouse pleasant for everyone. Aldro is a preparatory school, so here they try to prepare the boys for them both for high school and then for life outside the school. When boys live in full-board schools, they become much more independent, able to take responsibility for themselves and their work. These are vital skills that they will need in the future. The experience of staying in a boarding school greatly facilitates the transition to high school.
The school principal and caregivers monitor the academic performance of each boy, believing that personal growth and academic development come from a happy, caring environment in which children are encouraged and they feel valuable.
Mentors are always ready to help the boys and offer them care and support, when necessary, and this is one of the reasons why children adapt so easily to life in a boarding school.
The main sports are rugby, football, hockey, tennis, cricket and athletics. On average, each year the school has 27 football teams, 19 rugby teams, 19 cricket teams. Last year, these teams played 202 football matches, 117 rugby matches and 86 cricket matches against other schools.
The boys also play tennis, golf, take judo lessons, and do athletics.
Boys have the opportunity to enjoy a variety of activities in their free time. In the evenings after dinner, the boys have a “Mars” time when they can study, repeat, make music or read. After that, on-duty staff and master students hold various events:
- Club of arts
- Table tennis
- Nintendo Wii game console
- Pirate game
- The art of DJ’ing
- Foosball and more
On weekends, students are offered excursions, including to the Chessington World of Adventures theme park or The Goodwood Revival festival. And also: ice skating in Winchester, a visit to the London Eye Ferris wheel, a river boat cruise, a trip to Southampton and much more.
Design and Technology (DT) - the core subject for everyone
Pupils at Aldro. The structured course starts from the 3rd year of study. All students take a weekly DT lesson for 1 hour. In the lessons, children study topics such as robotics, automatic machines, hydraulics and pneumatics, solar energy, industrial processes using thermoplastics, control technology, electrics and electronics, mechanics and mechanical movement. Then do their own work.
The DT Centre is open for additional classes. Boys can create their own projects: small boats used on the school lake, radio-controlled cars, helicopters, furniture: tables, chairs and tables.
The theatre at Aldro is fun and inspiring, reflecting the core values of the Aldro Baccalaureate school curriculum. The development of language and communication skills is an important element of theatrical work. The theatre encourages independent work, group interaction, negotiation skills and promotes creative self-expression.
In each class, for 3–8 years of study (7–13 years), one theatre lesson is held per week, in which boys develop self-confidence, self-esteem and drama skills through a series of exercises.
The LAMDA (exam at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts) was reintroduced at the school in 2016, and currently almost 50% of boys take extra lessons every week. Students have the opportunity to speak during informal shows, and examination sessions are held twice a year here at Aldro school.
Boys participate in school productions, including large-scale ones. Recent performances: “School of Rock” “The Lion King” and others, where 90 students are simultaneously present on the stage!
Music. Aldro has a long tradition of music. 180 boys, take music lessons at school, learn to play various musical instruments. About 40 boys practice two or more instruments. The school has an annual competition of young musicians of the year in the categories: wind instruments, strings, piano, singing, guitar and percussion instruments.
In addition to this, there are spring and summer concerts that feature a brass band, blues band, oboe trio, blues bands, guitar group, string quartet, chapel choir and jazz band. A number of informal concerts are also held throughout the year at which the boys practice their performances.
Schools to which students go
In 2023, Aldro boys entered the following schools
- Frensham Heights
- King Edward's, Witley
As well as: ACS Int. Cobham, Bloxham, Blundell's, Bootham, Clifton College, Epsom, Fettes College, Hampton, Hurstpierpoint, King Edward’s Witley, Lancing, Pangbourne, Shiplake, St Edward's Oxford, St John’s Leatherhead, Westminster, Whitgift.
£9,260 - £10,365 per semester.
In the school year, 3 semesters
Included in cost
- Accommodation and meals
- Services and travel for most sports and games
- Accident insurance
- Registration fee - £100
- Deposit - the cost of 1 semester
- Transfers to / from the airport
- Services of the company "Paradise"
- Guardianship (as required by British law)
SERVICES OF THE EDUCATIONAL COMPANY INCLUDE
- Selection of 5-6 schools that best meet the individual characteristics of the child, further goals, talents, with the desired environment. Help in the correct interpretation of school ratings, an explanation of why the school occupies one place or another. Help in obtaining reliable information about schools that are not included in the ratings, with an explanation of the reasons for non-participation in it.
- Admission to 1-3 schools, selected from the proposed. Which includes the preparation of the necessary documents, school reports, characteristics, recommendations. Selection and submission of tests to prepare the student for exam testing, assistance in preparing essays. Preparation for an interview with the teacher / principal, registration for the exam. The necessary list of recommendations when attending school for passing entrance examinations. Correspondence with the school (not all schools enter into correspondence with foreign parents, treat them with caution, trust only a trusted agent).
- Assistance in paying registration fees, deposits, bills. Clarification of school rules, including disciplinary and legal aspects.
- Filling out the required medical forms.
- Selection of guardians required by UK law.
Student supervision during the first month of training is provided as a gift: assistance in resolving issues related to resettlement, billing, informing parents about the child’s health status, assistance with understanding of academic programs, organization of ext. classes for the child in a particular subject, assistance in choosing the program that is most suitable for the child, transfer to another class, etc.
Expert assistance in selecting the right schools for your child in the UK, Switzerland, which have been our main specialization since 1996.
We also help you enter schools where teaching is conducted in English: in the United Arab Emirates, Spain, Austria, Thailand, Canada, and France.
Full support in the admission procedure: preparation for an interview, visits to selected schools accompanied by a Paradise employee.
Assistance in applying to universities in the UK, Switzerland, Canada: writing motivation letters, creating a package of documents, creating the right case for applying for a visa (to avoid rejection).